Hot Cross Buns made with Carrs Breadmaker Strong White Flour, Butter, Mixed Spice, Currants and Mixed Peel
- 1 Egg, beaten and made up to 320ml with Milk
- 1½ tsp Fast Action Dried Yeast
- 500g Carrs Breadmaker Strong White Flour
- 50g Golden Caster Sugar
- 50g Butter, melted
- 1tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1tsp Mixed Spice
- 100g Currants
- 50g Mixed Peel
Method by bread machine
- Follow the manufacturers’ instructions regarding the order of liquid / dry ingredients, and set your machine to the dough / pizza.
- Divide the mixture into 12 round portions and arrange them on the greased baking sheet (allowing plenty of room for expansion).
- Leave to rise, covering with oiled cling film, for about 25 minutes. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C).
- After proving is complete remove film and make crosses using a flour-and-water paste made with 1tbsp flour and 2tbsp water.
- Roll out thinly and divide into small strips, dampening them to seal.
- Bake the buns for about 20 minutes. Then, while they’re cooking, make a glaze by dissolving 1tbsp sugar and 2tbsp of water over a gentle heat and brush the buns with it as soon as they come out of the oven. Allow to cool.